The Trek for Big Cats Mantra
“Every human being has the responsibility of nurturing and protecting their environment and to hand it over unspoilt for future generations to enjoy”
On the 1st November 2018, three intrepid souls (and avid conservationists) will set out on an epic adventure “to create awareness around the plight of the world’s endangered and iconic cats.”
For a month, the expedition party of three will trek attired in “very realistic custom-made cat mascots representing the lion, leopard and tiger:”
- Gareth James Legg (Founder, expedition manager, “The Lion”);
- Tracey Bruton (Co-founder, media liaison, “The Leopard”);
- Timothy Jansen Van Vuuren (Cinematographer, “The Tiger“).
Tracey Bruton, “The Leopard” (right); Timothy Jansen Van Vuuren, “The Tiger” (middle) and Gareth James Legg, “The Lion” (left)
The “trek” the three are embarking upon encompasses:
- travel to Nepal for a 14 day climb (see example picture below) to Everest Base Camp, plus media and school visits in Kathmandu;
- travel to Tanzania (for media and school visits in Arusha);
- heading out for a 7 day ‘trek’ up Kilimanjaro (via the “Machame route”);
- more media and school visits;
- arriving in London for the expedition’s end (and celebrations no doubt) on 30 November 2018.
So, please show support for a very intrepid ‘call to action’ on behalf of big cats and be with these trekkers every step of the challenge!
Update: In fact you can ‘Join the Pride’…..!
“South Africans to Embark on Epic Trek For Big Cats,” SA People News, 20 July 2018
“Animal-lovers to climb mountains in the name of conservation,” Sunday Times, 5 August 2018